Golden Cornmeal Yeast Buns Recipe
This recipe is a great help to me when I don't have purchased buns on hand. We enjoy them with hamburgers at home and with luncheon meat when we're on the go. Kathy Scott, Hemingford, Nebraska
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 eggs
- In a saucepan,combine the milk, butter cornmeal, sugar and salt. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Cool to 110°-115°. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 3 cups flour and milk mixture; beat until blended. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be slightly sticky). Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into four portions; divide each portion into six pieces. With lightly floured hands, shape into buns. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Golden Cornmeal Yeast Buns in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p52
Reviews for Golden Cornmeal Yeast Buns(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review