Golden Corn Puff Recipe
My mother-in-law shared this recipe with me. It's something different and very simple to make. My husband, Rich, and I especially like it because corn is our favorite vegetable.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a skillet, saute corn and tomato in 1 tablespoon butter until tomato is heated through; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour, salt, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese and the reserved corn mixture.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup hot corn mixture; return all to the pan. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar: beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into corn mixture.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until thermometer reads 160° and top is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 296 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 454mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Golden Corn Puff
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC