Golden Corn Muffins
When I was little, my grandmother made corn bread in a cast-iron skillet in a wood-burning oven. This recipe is the closest I've come to being as good as hers.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cubed butternut squash, cooked and mashed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking
- powder, salt and baking soda. Combine the egg, squash, buttermilk
- and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at
- 400° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1
Nutritional Facts: 1 muffin equals 142 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 340 mg sodium,