Golden Clam Chowder Recipe
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Finely chop the celery, carrots and onion. In a Dutch oven, saute vegetables in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, clams, clam juice, 1 cup water, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Gradually stir in milk; heat through. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into chowder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup equals 195 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 574 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.