- 2 celery ribs
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Finely chop the celery, carrots and onion. In a Dutch oven, saute vegetables in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, clams, clam juice, 1 cup water, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Gradually stir in milk; heat through. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into chowder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Golden Clam Chowder
Sort By :
This recipe was pretty good but I was expecting more due to all the other great reviews. I'm still on my quest to duplicate the clam chowder from the now-defunct Shells Restaurants in Florida.
I Love,Love,Love this recipe. I am not really a clam chowder kinda girl. But I loved this! My family loved it too. I just added a little extra bacon but followed this to the T. Def will make again!!
This is awesome. I like that there is no heavy cream and I have skipped a few ingredients that I did not have on hand...it still comes out phenomenal! A Friday staple for our family of ten. Thanks, Amanda Bowyer!
This recipe was decent, but it could be better. I'd add corn next time.
I am not a fan of clam chowder but my husband is so this was my first time making clam chowder and it was great! The recipe is quick with most ingredients I had on hand. I too skipped much of the thyme because it's not my favorite and wonder what other spice I might add the next time I make it. I am considering the Tabasco as someone else suggested! I served it with the TOH Braided Onion Potato Loaf and that was a good combo. I will make this again for sure!