- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), chopped
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in candy bars, chocolate chips, nuts and coconut.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Chill before slicing. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Golden Chocolate Cake
"I've made this 2 or 3 times and each time, it is greatly appreciated by those who love cake! Only needs the confectioner sugar dusted on top. Very moist and the flavor bursts in every bite! Kids should like this one as well. I have never made adjustments--fine as written, IMO."
"I've been using this recipe for almost 20 years now, ever since it was originally published in the Taste of Home magazine. I've used name brand products, the cheapest generic products I can get, and it always turns out wonderfully. It's even the birthday cake of choice in my family. Thanks so much for sharing!"
"I prepared this cake and it came out GREAT! Again, I DID make adjustments to suit my own individual tastes! What I'd done was use a 3.4-oz size of "candy cane" flavor Jello Instant pudding mix instead of the vanilla instant pudding mix and I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract. I also added 2 Tbsp. of all-purpose flour to prevent the chocolate chips & candy bar pieces from sinking down into cake! What I also had done was use three Hershey ALMOND bars-1.45-oz. each, chopped in my food processor! Instead of using 1 cup chopped pecans, I used 1-1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut and 1/2 cup chopped pecans! I tested cake at 50 minutes and found that I DID need to bake it 10 more minutes which I did. I did cool 15 minutes in the pan before turning out to cool on wire rack completely! Thank you, Kay Hansen, for this recipe! Dawn E. Lowenstein"