This chowder is a wonderful warmer-upper on a rainy afternoon. For a quick and delicious variation, spoon chowder into a split baked potato! I like all types of cooking, especially baking pies. I'm a volunteer at our local hospital. When at home, I enjoy reading, biking and hiking.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, chopped
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cut in 1/2-inch cubes or 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In large saucepan, combine the water, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add broccoli; cook, uncovered, until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan; stir in the flour, salt and pepper and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Add pepper sauce if desired. Stir in the cheese; cook and stir until melted. Add the ham and undrained vegetables; stir until blended. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Golden Cheese/Broccoli Chowder in Country Woman May/June 1989, p29
Reviews for Golden Cheese/Broccoli Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review