Golden Catfish Fillets
This is my favorite way to prepare fresh fish. The fillets cook up moist with an irresistible crisp, golden coating. Whether your fish comes from a nearby lake or the grocery store, it makes a terrific summer meal.
-Tammy Moore-Worthington, Artesia, New Mexico
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 catfish fillets (8 ounces each)
- Canola oil
- Lemon or lime wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg white until foamy; add milk and mix
- well. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, garlic
- powder, cayenne and pepper. Dip fillets in milk mixture, then coat
- with cornmeal mixture.
- Heat 1/4 in of oil in a large skillet; fry fish over medium-high for
- 3-4 minutes on each side or until it flakes easily with a fork.
- Garnish with lemon or lime if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 246 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.