Golden Carrot Soup
"This is a great-tasting soup to make on a chilly day," observes Aline Winje of Slocan, British Columbia. "It's easy to fix too." The rich-colored soup has a mild chicken flavor with just a hint of garlic.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add the water, carrots, rice and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until carrots and rice
- are very tender.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a blender or food
- processor; cover and process until pureed. Return to the saucepan;
- heat through. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 126 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.