- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water; cook until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Place in a blender or food processor. Add eggs and 1/2 cup water; puree until smooth.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining water. Add carrot mixture. Stir in oil, sugar, molasses, salt and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into 48 balls. Place 2-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Golden Carrot Buns
"These rolls seemed a bit bland to me; would slightly increase both the molasses and salt if I made them again. I like that you are getting extra nutrition from these, but the fact that you had to cook and purée the carrots first, gave me 3 extra pots to wash. If you are very motivated to sneak vegetables into someone's diet, and don't mind the extra work, they might be worth it for you. They do have a nice texture and pretty color. Like another reviewer, I used the cooled carrot-water for the dough. Mine filled three 9" round pans plus cookie sheet."
"These golden buns are sooo yummy & light! I am making them again already!!! I followed the recipe just as it is written except I reserved the cooked carrot water in place of just warm water in the recipe. I made sure the reserved carrot water cooled to 110-115 degrees. These buns are easy to make and came out perfect each time I've made them. Thank-you!"
"I make these wonderful buns almost every Easter, my family and extended family love them. The carrots and molasses give them an awesome flavor."
"Very nice flavor, very light. I made 1/2 batch and did two 8 inch rounds pans. Beautiful and nice color. We will have them again for sure. Would be great for company or to give to a friend for something special."