- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water; cook until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Place in a blender or food processor. Add eggs and 1/2 cup water; puree until smooth.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining water. Add carrot mixture. Stir in oil, sugar, molasses, salt and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into 48 balls. Place 2-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Golden Carrot Buns
Sort By :
These golden buns are sooo yummy & light! I am making them again already!!! I followed the recipe just as it is written except I reserved the cooked carrot water in place of just warm water in the recipe. I made sure the reserved carrot water cooled to 110-115 degrees. These buns are easy to make and came out perfect each time I've made them. Thank-you!
I make these wonderful buns almost every Easter, my family and extended family love them. The carrots and molasses give them an awesome flavor.
Very nice flavor, very light. I made 1/2 batch and did two 8 inch rounds pans. Beautiful and nice color. We will have them again for sure. Would be great for company or to give to a friend for something special.