Golden Caraway Rye Bread Recipe
"Feed the entire group with the four golden loaves this recipe produces. The bread’s wonderful mild flavor and tender texture make it outstanding," says Denise Elder, Hanover, Ontario.
- 4 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups rye flour
- 10 to 11 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugars, shortening, molasses and salt. Add rye flour and 4 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in caraway seeds and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a very large bowl coated with cooking spray, or divide between two large bowls coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Shape into four loaves. Place each loaf in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Caraway Rye Bread in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p39
Reviews for Golden Caraway Rye Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- German Bread Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Vegetarian Recipes >
- Irish Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >