"Feed the entire group with the four golden loaves this recipe produces. The bread’s wonderful mild flavor and tender texture make it outstanding," says Denise Elder, Hanover, Ontario.
- 4 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups rye flour
- 10 to 11 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugars, shortening, molasses and salt. Add rye flour and 4 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in caraway seeds and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a very large bowl coated with cooking spray, or divide between two large bowls coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Shape into four loaves. Place each loaf in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Caraway Rye Bread in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p39
Reviews for Golden Caraway Rye Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 26, 2014 Edited Apr. 27, 2014
"Outstanding! The end result is two tender, lofty, flavorful loaves - great for sandwiches. I did halve the recipe (using 2 T = half 1/4 cup) and it worked just fine. This recipe is a keeper!"
Reviewed Dec. 11, 2008
"I absolutely love this bread. It is Deeeelicious!Cara"