Golden Braided Sesame Bread Recipe
"I've made this pretty braid for every celebration in our family for over 30 years. It makes a festive addition to a holiday meal. Everyone looks forward to its soft, fragrant, golden presence."
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, salt, eggs, food coloring and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Shape each portion into an 18-in. rope. Place ropes parallel to each other on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Beginning from the right side, braid dough by placing the first rope over the second rope, under the third and over the fourth. Repeat three or four times, beginning each time from the right side. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over braid. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (32 slices).
1 slice equals 94 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Golden Braided Sesame Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC