- 3 medium fresh golden beets and beet greens
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup white wine or unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup grated Manchego cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (Meyer lemons preferred)
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350°. Wash and trim beet greens, removing stems; dry with paper towels. Place greens in a single layer on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush with 1 tablespoon coconut oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Bake until dry and crisp, 15-18 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice beets. In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add beets. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until beets are tender, 15-18 minutes. Remove beets with a slotted spoon. Keep broth hot.
- In another large saucepan, heat remaining coconut oil over medium heat. Add leeks; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Add curry powder, garlic salt and remaining sea salt; cook, stirring, until leeks are tender, 2-3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add barley; stir constantly until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. Add wine; stir until liquid has evaporated.
- Add enough broth, about 1 cup, to cover barley. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir until broth is absorbed. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until broth is absorbed after each addition. Stir in beets with last addition of broth. Cook until barley is tender but firm to the bite and risotto is creamy, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, lemon juice, 2-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with parsley and remaining lemon peel. Serve with crispy beet greens and lemon slices. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Golden Beet Curry Risotto with Crispy Beet Greens in Taste of Home April/May 2017
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Golden Beet Curry Risotto with Crispy Beet Greens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review