Golden Baked Onions Recipe
I love to invent new dishes, but I also enjoy making tried-and-true recipes, like my mom's baked onions. The onions are a rich and satisfying side dish with poultry and beef, but they can also be a meal all by themselves!—Chris Gaskill, Knoxville, Tennessee
- 6 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, pepper and 2 cups cheese. Stir in onions.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Brush bread slices with melted butter on one side. Arrange buttered side up over cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, broil 4-6 in. from heat until bread is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Golden Baked Onions
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC