Golden Apple Pie Recipe
- 6 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine apples, 3/4 cup apple juice, sugar, cinnamon and apple pie spice; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and remaining apple juice; add to saucepan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute more or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- 2. For crust, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add water, 1 tablespoon at a time; tossing with a fork until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide in half, making one half slightly larger. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion.
- 3. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 484 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Golden Apple Pie
"Excellent pie! I followed this exactly and it was a hit!"
"This crust recipe is very off. The fat in it should be about half that or less. I am experienced and fixed it some, but we had to way overwork the dough to fix it.the filling was fine."
"Very good pie. I was afraid it would be watery but came out perfect."
"Made this for the fourth time today. It was perfect! The only change I made was I sprinkled a cinnamon-sugar blend on top before baking. This is one of my "go to" recipes!"
"This pie is the best!! So easy and SO tasty.. Thank you for sharing with us."
"I have never made a pie before and this was so incredibly easy and delicious! I needed to use up a bag of apples I had that's when I came across your recipe! I am going to make this for my Thanksgiving this year! Its going to be a new fall tradition! I cheated on the crust because I was in a bit of a time crunch so I used store bought. I don't know what type of apples I used but they tasted like candy! Wonderful job!"
"This is my absolute favorite apple pie recipe - not too tart, not too sweet!"
"This is a great pie and easy to make I will deffinatly be making it again! its delicious!"
"I've used the filling from this recipe to make apple tarts (with puff pastry) and apple pies (with pre-made pie crusts), and the flavor is wonderful. It always seems to turn out a bit too juicy, though, so next time I'm going to try using a little less apple juice."
"This Apple pie was wonderful! My 9 year old son and family loved it!"
"Excellent recipe, the whole family loved it, will definatley make it again!"
"This is an easy recipe and my pies come out great every time! I made tons of them last year for the holidays and am making more this year. I LOVE this recipe! And it works great w/ other apple flavors as well!"
"Filling was excellent; crust turned out terrible. All gooey and sticky."
"This has become a favorite! We even didn't have apple juice one time and we mixed in hot spiced cider and it was delicious!"