Golden Apple Pie Recipe
Meet the Cook: Pies are the dessert I like best to prepare. This one's the favorite for family get-togethers, and it has been awarded blue ribbons at a couple of local fairs. My husband's a cattleman. We're the parents of six and grandparents of nine. -Theresa Brazil, Petaluma, California
- 6 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine apples, 3/4 cup apple juice, sugar, cinnamon and apple pie spice; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and remaining apple juice; add to saucepan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute more or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- 2. For crust, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add water, 1 tablespoon at a time; tossing with a fork until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide in half, making one half slightly larger. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion.
- 3. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 484 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 528 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC