Golden Apple Bundles
This recipe is an interesting way to use apples. I usually make them on Fridays, so when family and friends drop in on the weekend, I have a nice dessert to serve. They bake flaky and golden brown outside and moist inside. —Lila Eller, Everett, Washington
10-12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, combine apples, walnuts,
- brown sugar, raisins, flour, lemon peel and cinnamon; set aside.
- Roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 5-in. circles. Spoon about
- 1/4 cup apple mixture into center of each circle. Moisten edges of
- pastry with water. Fold over and seal edges with a fork.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to
- 400° bake 10 minutes. Brush each with milk and sprinkle with
- sugar; return to oven for 5 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 253 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium,