Gold Nugget Carrot Cake Recipe
Old-fashioned and heavenly are words to describe this moist, spicy carrot cake. Be prepared, your company will want seconds!—Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1. Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the carrots, chocolate, almonds and ginger. Transfer to prepared pans.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, marmalade and cinnamon; beat until smooth. Stir in ginger.
- 5. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 579 calories, 32g fat (9g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Gold Nugget Carrot Cake
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2015
"Very decadent & delicious!"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC