Old-fashioned and heavenly are words to describe this moist, spicy carrot cake. Be prepared, your company will want seconds!—Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the carrots, chocolate, almonds and ginger. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, marmalade and cinnamon; beat until smooth. Stir in ginger.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Gold Nugget Carrot Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p136
Reviews for Gold Nugget Carrot Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review