- 12 Eggland's Best Eggs
- Red food coloring
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 large pimiento-stuffed olives, halved widthwise
- Place eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 1 in. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Place in ice water until completely cooled. Gently crack eggs (do not peel).
- Fill a large bowl with hot water; add food coloring to tint water a dark red. Add eggs, making sure they are completely covered by water; let stand for 30 minutes. Remove eggs from water; peel (eggs should have a veined appearance).
- Cut eggs in half widthwise; place yolks in a large bowl. Set whites aside. Mash yolks with a fork; stir in the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper.
- To make eggs stand better on serving plate, slice a small piece from the bottom of egg white halves. Stuff with yolk mixture. Place an olive half in the center of each to resemble an eyeball. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Goblin Eyeballs(4)
Sort By :
This was super easy and turned out beautifully - and were a huge hit! I will probably make them for every Halloween Party or Friday the 13th celebration from here on out.
Overall a good recipe except that after soaking the eggs in red dye water, the eggs themselves were almost entirely white. Yes, I cracked the eggs in multiple places! Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks
I always do a Halloween themed dinner on Halloween and these are great! I have made this recipe a few times now and I do use more spices in the egg yolk mixture but the process to make these look like eyeballs is fantastic! I would recommend using more red dye tho.
When I tried this recipe, my egg whites didn't turn out looking red and veiny. I think you need to really crack the eggs well and put a ton of red food coloring in the water. Like more than you think is too much.
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Comfort Food Appetizers >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Deviled Egg Recipes >
- Easy Appetizers >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Halloween Appetizers >
- Halloween Party Recipes >