Gobbler Goodies Recipe
TURKEY at Thanksgiving is a timeless tradition. But you can give your holiday meal a novel twist with these birds of a different feather. The holiday treats are cute, sweet and made from all kinds of goodies youngsters love to nibble on. "The kids and I had a ball making these tasty turkeys for Thanksgiving one year," shares Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. "They loved forming the turkey bodies from the gooey cereal mixture and twisting the sandwich cookies apart. "But using chocolate frosting to "glue" on the candy corn was their favorite part." This recipe makes a big batch of tempting turkeys, so there are plenty for snacking and sharing. These festive fall treats also would make fun favors at each place setting on your Thanksgiving table—if your family doesn't gobble them up first!
TOTAL TIME: Prep:30 min. Cook: 5 min. + cooling YIELD:28 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 28 Oreo cookies
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate frosting
- 1 package (11 ounces) candy corn
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add marshmallows; stir over low heat until melted. Stir in cereal. Cool for 10 minutes. With buttered hands, form cereal mixture into 1-1/2-in. balls. Twist apart sandwich cookies; spread frosting on the inside of cookies.
- 2. Place 28 cookie halves under cereal balls to form the base for each turkey. Place three pieces of candy corn in a fan pattern on remaining cookie halves; press each half onto a cereal ball to form the tail. Attach remaining candy corn with frosting to form turkey's head. Yield: 28 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 220 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC