Fresh pears provide a bit of sweetness to a special stuffing for beef tenderloin and beautifully balances the arugula and goat cheese.—Cindie Haras, Boca Raton, Florida
- 2 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon each minced fresh parsley, basil and tarragon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a large skillet, saute pears in butter until tender.
- Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open tenderloin so it lies flat. On each half, make another lengthwise slit down the center to within 1/2 in. of bottom; open roast and cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- Spread the pears, arugula, cheese and herbs over meat to within 1 in. of edge. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie the roast at 1-1/2-inch intervals with kitchen string.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine the oil, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Bake at 425° for 40-50 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- In a small saucepan, saute shallots in butter until tender. Add sherry; cook over low heat for 4 minutes. Add broth and tarragon. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve with beef. Yield: 8 servings (3/4 cup sauce).
Originally published as Goat Cheese & Pear Stuffed Tenderloin in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p23
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Goat Cheese & Pear Stuffed Tenderloin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review