Goat Cheese & Onion Pastries Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, cut into 12 slices
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 teaspoons in pan. Add onions, shallots and sugar to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- 2. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in thyme, garlic and pepper. Cook, uncovered, until liquid is evaporated, 2-3 minutes. Stir in bacon.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Cut into three 9x3-in. rectangles. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush dough with egg white; top with onion mixture and goat cheese. Bake until golden brown, 16-20 minutes. Cut each rectangle into four appetizers. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 piece: 168 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Goat Cheese & Onion Pastries
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.