- 5 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine carrots, corn, onion, barley, bulgur, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in broth and beans. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake 50-55 minutes or until grains are tender, stirring once. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Go for the Grains Casserole
Sort By :
Very good and different.
My husband loves this! I don't think he realizes how healthy it is. It's easy to make and delicious.
I don't have many recipes that use barley or bulgur, and this one's a keeper! I've made it a number of times and love it.
extra cooking time... the prep I didn't clock, but it was more the 25 minute side
I added celery, roasted garlic, millet instead of bulgur, and used home-grown ground beef instead of the beans, but would do it with the beans in a heartbeat. It took extra time for me, too - 20-25 minutes. No cheese. My husband's thrilled!
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >