“This casserole is hearty and delicious. A friend of mine gave me the recipe when I was compiling healthier recipes.” This colorful medley has 'good-for-you' written all over it. Melanie Blair - Warsaw, Indiana
- 5 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine carrots, corn, onion, barley, bulgur, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in broth and beans. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake 50-55 minutes or until grains are tender, stirring once. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Go for the Grains Casserole in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p15
Reviews for Go for the Grains Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review