Gnocchi with Thyme Butter Recipe
If you've never attempted homemade gnocchi, this recipe is the one to try. The gnocchi are tender with a delicate butter and thyme flavor. "They're absolutely delicious as a side dish with your favorite meat or seafood." —Annette Lear Ssanbornville, New Hampshire
- 1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 quarts water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; return potatoes to the pan.
- Over very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam has evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl; cool slightly.
- Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes; sprinkle with flour. Whisk the egg, salt and pepper; pour into well. Stir until blended. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add thyme and gnocchi; stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Gnocchi with Thyme Butter in Taste of Home August/September 2008, p39
Reviews for Gnocchi with Thyme Butter(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2009
I have made this recipe many times. I also use a little garlic in the butter. This is one of my family's favorite.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Side Dishes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >