Gnocchi with Thyme Butter Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 quarts water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; return potatoes to the pan.
- 2. Over very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam has evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl; cool slightly.
- 3. Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes; sprinkle with flour. Whisk the egg, salt and pepper; pour into well. Stir until blended. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- 4. Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork.
- 5. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- 6. In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add thyme and gnocchi; stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
3/4 cup: 375 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 624mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Gnocchi with Thyme Butter
"I have made this recipe many times. I also use a little garlic in the butter. This is one of my family's favorite."