Gnocchi with Thyme Butter Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 quarts water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; return potatoes to the pan.
- 2. Over very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam has evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl; cool slightly.
- 3. Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes; sprinkle with flour. Whisk the egg, salt and pepper; pour into well. Stir until blended. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- 4. Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork.
- 5. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- 6. In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add thyme and gnocchi; stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
3/4 cup equals 375 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Gnocchi with Thyme Butter
"I have made this recipe many times. I also use a little garlic in the butter. This is one of my family's favorite."