Gnocchi with Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- 2. Place potato flakes in a large bowl; stir in boiling water until blended. Stir in eggs. Add flour and salt all at once; stir just until combined. Divide into fourths; turn each onto a floured surface. Roll into 3/4-in.-thick ropes; cut ropes into 3/4-in. pieces.
- 3. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 30-60 seconds or until gnocchi float. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place in a large bowl; top with sauce. Gently stir to coat. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cup: 344 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1124mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Gnocchi with Meat Sauce
"When our son says what smells so good, I usually have a hit! Made 'as is' with a little more seasoning for us and yes, it was a big hit! It may seem like too much sauce to start with, but for us it was perfect for gnocchi which are little sauce stealers! I will add this to my recipe file, for sure!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.