Gnocchi with Hearty Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1. Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add peppers. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender; drain.
- 2. Add wine; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and brown sugar; heat through. Drain gnocchi; serve with meat sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: Look for potato gnocchi in the pasta, ethnic or frozen section of your grocery store.
1-1/3 cups: 371 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1022mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Gnocchi with Hearty Meat Sauce
"Delicious! We love gnocchi, and this meat sauce was excellent. It was a good, fast meal to whip up on a week night."