When time’s at a premium, this hearty, full-flavored meat sauce, mellowed with a hint of wine, can make something special of quick, packaged gnocchi. Thanks to our Test Kitchen!
Recommended: 39 Quick Vegetarian Meals for Winter Weeknights
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add peppers. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender; drain.
- Add wine; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and brown sugar; heat through. Drain gnocchi; serve with meat sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Gnocchi with Hearty Meat Sauce in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p32
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Gnocchi with Hearty Meat Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 31, 2014
"Delicious! We love gnocchi, and this meat sauce was excellent. It was a good, fast meal to whip up on a week night."