The inspiration for this recipe comes from my Italian heritage—my mom was a wonderful soup maker. Using frozen gnocchi saves time and adds extra heartiness to this chunky soup. —Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 1-1/4 pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 each small green, sweet red and yellow peppers, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped prosciutto or deli ham
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup canned white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Sprinkle chicken with oregano, salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add prosciutto and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, peas, tomato paste and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain; stir into soup. Garnish each serving with cheese and basil. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Gnocchi Chicken Minestrone in Taste of Home June/July 2010, p55
Reviews for Gnocchi Chicken Minestrone
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 18, 2015
"Good soup and enough to share with college kids."
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2014
"Had steak on hand and followed rest of the recipe as directed...fabulous!"
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2014
"Very tasty and hearty soup and freezes well."
Reviewed Feb. 16, 2014
"Can you freeze this soup with the gnocchi in it?"
Reviewed Nov. 18, 2013
"Great soup!....loved it"