Gnocchi Chicken Minestrone Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 each small green, sweet red and yellow peppers, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped prosciutto or deli ham
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup canned white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with oregano, salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, cook the peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add prosciutto and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, peas, tomato paste and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain; stir into soup. Garnish each serving with cheese and basil. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups: 324 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 1163mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Gnocchi Chicken Minestrone
"Delicious! My son said this was a keeper."
"Good soup and enough to share with college kids."
"Had steak on hand and followed rest of the recipe as directed...fabulous!"
"Very tasty and hearty soup and freezes well."
"Can you freeze this soup with the gnocchi in it?"
"Great soup!....loved it"
"We liked it but didn't love it. All the veges included are a real plus."
"Very yummy soup! :) I omitted the zucchini, mushrooms and ham to better suit our tastes. We will definitely be trying this again!"
"I thought this minestrone soup was even better as leftovers!"
"Blah, blah, blah. I can't believe I just wasted all those wonderful ingredients to end up with this pile of bland broth and soggy veggies. I hope the dog likes it."
"Loved this recipe. Will be making it my go to favorite for any season!"
"i would skip the gnocchi or just replace it with cubed potatoe. Taste and flavour is excellent."
"One of the best soups I had ever made. I couldn't find gnocchi so I used frozen egg noodles. I will keep this recipe and make it again."
"Didn't care for this soup. Too much going on."
"My whole family loved this!"
"I love it....minus the mushrooms I am not a mushroom person but I tried it with them and it was wonderful!!!"
"I used less chicken and left out the peppers, peas, beans and prosciutto, due to family taste. I added cauliflower, and left the veggies in bigger chunks, more rustic. I also added a extra can of chicken broth and used the whole can of tomato paste. I did have to keep adding spices as it tasted bland and a bit of sugar to cut down on the sourness. Topped with Romano cheese and it was delicious."
"we didn't like it"
"Very flavorful soup! I left out the zucchini and peas due to family preferences but it was still wonderful."
"this is very good! I even forgot some of the ingredients while shopping for it and it still turned out very well! (no ham, mushrooms, zucchini or peas!) I skipped the paste on purpose because I thought it was tomato-ey enough without it. I made my gnocchi homemade as well. I'm making this soup for the second time tonight, it's very good! :)"
"This is an excellent recipe. I normally have to add in extras to spice things up, but this was just perfect the way it was. It's a very satisfying & hearty soup. My whole family enjoyed, including my son who hates most of the veggies that are in this (especially mushrooms), he had 2 bowls. I will definately be making this again."
"This recipe was amazing didn't change a thing. Made the gnocchi myself from the homemade gnocchi recipe on this site. Even my 3 boys 8 and under loved it. Thank you!!!"
"Loved this soup. I have several minestrone recipes and this one is my favorite so far. Given, with the additions it's not 'traditional' minestrone, but they make it unique and extra yummy. I will make this again and again."
"[quote user="ohtoobeetall"] I'd love to try this recipe, but I've never seen gnocchi in the store. Any tips on where to find it?[/quote] Sorry, I didn't know how to reply on here but just wanted to say that found Gnocchi in the pasta isle of my local supermarket. It was right next to the pasta. Hope you find it!"
"This was oh so delicious!! It's a keeper. But next time I will only use half of the pack of Gnocchi and I added more salt too. Everyone loved it!"
"I'd love to try this recipe, but I've never seen gnocchi in the store. Any tips on where to find it?"
"liked chicken stock with tomato paste with the itialan seasonings,did add some thyme cause i like it in soup,did not put gnocchi in cause i just thought it would make it to heavy and i did add some different veggie cause i didn't have zucchini-added cauliflower,broccoli, and carrots, but just like 1/2 cup of each and it was very tasty!:)"
"this dish was delicious, will make it often"
"My family LOVES this soup. Especially my son. He has been requesting it on our hottest days. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It's anothr winner from the Taste of Home family."
"My husband said this one is a keeper. Totally tender and the sauce puts it over the top."
"This is so good! :)"