- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons garbanzo and fava flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk; mix well. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, cornstarch, garbanzo and fava flour, xanthan gum and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with chocolate chips; let stand for 5 minutes. Spread chocolate chips over bars. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Gluten-Free Toffee Bars
"I haven't made this recipe, but I wanted to let you know that according to the Diamond of California rep, their nuts are processed on shared equipment with items that contain wheat. Although they do clean the equipment, there is still a chance that gluten could be present. We order all our certified gluten free nuts from Nuts.com just to be safe :)"
"These taske exactly like the gluten-full version I used to make."
"Some people use equal amounts of milled flax seed in place of xanthan gum."
"Well worth the effort!"
"I haven't tried this recipe. I have one question or more...can this recipe be fixed without the xanthan gum?My husband is gluten intolerant, but I have allergy to the vegetable gums..i.e. xantan, guar, etc."
"Thank you for the recipes. A very good friend of mine has recently discovered 2 of her children have celiac disease and is struggling for help."
"www.glutenfreeda.com has many recipes that are very good and well tested. give it a try."
"My Son-In-Law just found out he is gluten intolerent. These bars were wonderful for the whole family. He didn't feel left out of a special dessert. Will definately make these many times. Thanks for these recepies."