"My husband discovered he has celiac disease a couple of years ago, and I've had to find a whole new way of cooking.” These nutty, chocolaty bars are perfect for those with gluten intolerance. Pam Gianetti - Girard, OH
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons garbanzo and fava flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk; mix well. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, cornstarch, garbanzo and fava flour, xanthan gum and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with chocolate chips; let stand for 5 minutes. Spread chocolate chips over bars. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Gluten-Free Toffee Bars in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009, p16
Reviews for Gluten-Free Toffee Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review