Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups potato starch
- 1-1/3 cups garbanzo and fava flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, applesauce, lemon peel and extract. Combine the potato starch, garbanzo and fava flour, tapioca flour, salt, xanthan gum and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"My cookies came out pretty flat. I think they should be chilled before baking. I have found with GF cookies that works best. I didn't with this one because it did not say to. I am not a fan of the taste of the garbanzo flour. I thought the almond extract would mask some of that but it didn't. I will bake the rest tomorrow, add more flavoring and frost them. I find GF baking extremely difficult and I am an excellant baker."
"I really like the texture on these but they are lacking flavor- adding more vanilla, almond, or lemon extract can help- would be great to make as raisin cookies!"
"The cookies are light and tender but they have an after-taste."
"Made these with my mom for my 2 ASD angels. (One loved them, one didn't; LOL.) Ours may have turned out a little different; I was out of tapioca flour & couldn't find it @ Kroger, but had coconut flour. We also used BRM's GF All Purpose Baking Flour (gar-fava + tapioca + potato + white sorghum flours) instead of straight garfava flour. Anyway, most of us (ie--non-GFCF ppl) agreed these are GREAT! I will definitely make these again, maybe some with spices, maybe some with choc chips (Enjoy Life Foods for GFCF). Thank you TOH for another home run recipe!! :)"
"The garbanzo and fava flour used to test the recipe is a single flour made from both garbanzo beans and fava beans - so it would be 1-1/3 cups total flour used in the recipe. We used Bob's Red Mill brand."