Gluten-Free Spritz Delights Recipe
My daughter has Down syndrome and loves hosting parties, especially on holidays. Cookies always took center stage until she was diagnosed with celiac disease. I decided then to take on gluten-free baking, and these are the best yet—a cross between a shortbread and a sugar cookie.—Cheryl Costilow, Amherst, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:102 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup gluten-free vanilla frosting
- Food coloring, optional
- Gluten-free sprinkles
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, xanthan gum and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- 2. Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, warm frosting to reach a drizzling consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. Drizzle over cookies; decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set. Yield: 8-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without sprinkles) equals 38 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC