No one will miss the gluten in these crumbly, nutty balls of goodness. Their melt-in-your-mouth texture will make them the hit of your cookie exchange.—Joan Sarge, Eureka, California
30 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups potato starch
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light
- and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the potato starch, cornstarch,
- xanthan gum and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Cool on pans for 2
- minutes before removing to wire racks.
- Roll warm cookies in confectioners' sugar. Cool completely on wire
- racks. Reroll in confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.