Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread Recipe
In my quest to find an edible gluten-free bread, this recipe emerged. It’s moist and has no cardboard texture! —Doris Kinney, Merrimack, New Hampshire
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Grease a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan and sprinkle with gluten-free flour; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the eggs, oil, vinegar and yeast mixture. Gradually beat in the flour, xanthan gum, gelatin and salt. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. (Dough will be softer than yeast bread dough with gluten.)
- 3. Transfer to prepared pan. Smooth the top with a wet spatula. Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough reaches the top of pan, about 25 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes; cover loosely with foil. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 110 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC