Gluten-Free Pecan Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, pumpkin, oil, egg whites, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and pie spice; reserve 1/4 cup for topping. Gradually beat remaining mixture into pumpkin mixture until blended. Spread batter into a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray.
- 3. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and reserved flour mixture. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 264 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Gluten-Free Pecan Pumpkin Cake
"I am new to the world of gluten-free but thought this recipe had potential. Unfortunately, it did not live up to all the reviews. I followed the directions exactly but the cake was very dense and did not rise. One critic said that it wasn't very pumpkin-y and the only tasty part was the pecans. No one asked for seconds and leftovers did not improve with age. I will be trying another recipe before making this one again."
"The texture and taste are wonderful. You can't even tell it is gluten free!"
"What a wonderful cake! No one would ever know that this is gluten-free. It is easy to put together too."
"This cake is moist and delicious and no one would ever know that it is gluten free unless you tell! A perfect finish to any Fall meal. I made it for a small dinner party and it was loved by everyone."
"I am basing this only on the ease of preparation,appearance and fragrance. I made this yesterday for a brunch at my church on Sunday. It was so easy to make, rose beautifully, looks and smells divine. I am sure my gluten free friends are going to love it. Will let you know. I followed the directions for the cake exactly. I was going to use two whole eggs instead of one egg and two egg whites. I'm glad I did. I think this had something to do with how well the cake rose. Sometimes gluten free can be "stodgy".I made the crumb top with Earth Balance so that my gluten-free, dairy-free friend can eat it also. Thanks for providing me with a pumpkin cake recipe so that my friends aren't left out while everyone else is eating their pumpkin cake!!!!"
"I wish there were gluten free recipes that didn't call for so many different flours. very costly to buy so many just to make one recipe"
"My friend made this for me and it is wonderful! Wonderful to have friends who are conscious of the ones of us who have to eat gluten free!!"
"Made this for Thanksgiving. Even the people who don't need to eat gluten free raved about it and it has been requested for Christmas. I did sub have the sugar in the cake for dark brown sugar and couldn't find tapioca flour, so subbed all purpose gluten free flour. A very moist cake with wonderful flavor."