- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, pumpkin, oil, egg whites, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and pie spice; reserve 1/4 cup for topping. Gradually beat remaining mixture into pumpkin mixture until blended. Spread batter into a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and reserved flour mixture. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Gluten-Free Pecan Pumpkin Cake
Sort By :
"I am new to the world of gluten-free but thought this recipe had potential. Unfortunately, it did not live up to all the reviews. I followed the directions exactly but the cake was very dense and did not rise. One critic said that it wasn't very pumpkin-y and the only tasty part was the pecans. No one asked for seconds and leftovers did not improve with age. I will be trying another recipe before making this one again."
"The texture and taste are wonderful. You can't even tell it is gluten free!"
"What a wonderful cake! No one would ever know that this is gluten-free. It is easy to put together too."
"This cake is moist and delicious and no one would ever know that it is gluten free unless you tell! A perfect finish to any Fall meal. I made it for a small dinner party and it was loved by everyone."
"I am basing this only on the ease of preparation,appearance and fragrance. I made this yesterday for a brunch at my church on Sunday. It was so easy to make, rose beautifully, looks and smells divine. I am sure my gluten free friends are going to love it. Will let you know. I followed the directions for the cake exactly. I was going to use two whole eggs instead of one egg and two egg whites. I'm glad I did. I think this had something to do with how well the cake rose. Sometimes gluten free can be "stodgy".I made the crumb top with Earth Balance so that my gluten-free, dairy-free friend can eat it also. Thanks for providing me with a pumpkin cake recipe so that my friends aren't left out while everyone else is eating their pumpkin cake!!!!"