- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat
- in the egg, molasses and vanilla. Combine the flours, baking powder,
- nutmeg, salt, baking soda and xanthan gum. Gradually add to creamed
- mixture and mix well. Divide dough into four portions; cover and
- refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 9-in.
- x 4-in. rectangle. Transfer two rectangles to a parchment
- paper-lined baking sheet; remove waxed paper. Spread reserved fig
- mixture evenly over both rectangles to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top
- with remaining dough; remove waxed paper. Using a fork, crimp edges
- to seal.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool
- completely. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut each in half
- lengthwise; cut widthwise into slices. Store in an airtight
- Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 105 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.