These special cookies definitely don’t taste gluten-free. For added appeal, soak the figs overnight in a mixture of port and pomegranate juice. Twinkle30 - Tasteofhome.com community
Featured In: Fig Recipes
- 1/2 pound dried figs, quartered
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup port wine or additional pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Place figs in a small bowl. Add the pomegranate juice, wine and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Transfer figs and reserved juice to a small food processor; cover and process until a thick paste is formed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and vanilla. Combine the flours, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and xanthan gum. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough into four portions; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 9-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Transfer two rectangles to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; remove waxed paper. Spread reserved fig mixture evenly over both rectangles to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining dough; remove waxed paper. Using a fork, crimp edges to seal.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut each in half lengthwise; cut widthwise into slices. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Gluten-Free Fig Cookies in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010, p16
Reviews for Gluten-Free Fig Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review