Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
“I am a registered nurse and I have a friend with celiac disease. I didn't want her to miss out on the joy of chocolate and other baked goods, so I started experimenting to make some fun treats for her.” — Donna Lovestrand of Seneca, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, milk, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Sprinkle with remaining chips. Bake at 350° for 12-16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 184 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC