Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Cookies
I need to avoid gluten and have tried transforming my favorite recipes to fit my diet. I came up with these cakelike cookies, and no one ever guesses that they’re gluten-free.
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder,
- cornstarch and salt. Stir in egg whites and coffee liqueur until
- batter resembles frosting. Add walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking
- sheets. Bake at 300° for 10-14 minutes or until set. Cool for 2
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 82 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.