“No one ever guesses that these fudgy, moist brownies are gluten-free, as well as flourless and, actually, made with beans!” Jean Ecos - Hartland, Wisconsin
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules, optional
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the beans, egg whites, egg, coffee granules if desired, oil and vanilla in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, baking powder and salt; add to bean mixture. Cover and process until combined. Gradually add the chocolate; process until blended.
- Pour batter into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Gluten-Free Brownies in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p10
Reviews for Gluten-Free Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review