Gluten-Free Brownies Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules, optional
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- 2. Meanwhile, place the beans, egg whites, egg, coffee granules if desired, oil and vanilla in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, baking powder and salt; add to bean mixture. Cover and process until combined. Gradually add the chocolate; process until blended.
- 4. Pour batter into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 brownie (calculated without walnuts) equals 184 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.