Gluten-Free Breakfast Blintzes Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups each fresh blueberries and raspberries
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter. Combine the flour and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Coat an 8-in. nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Stir crepe batter; pour 2 tablespoons into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, coating skillet with cooking spray as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- 3. In a blender, cover and process cheeses until smooth. Add sugar and extract; pulse until combined. Spread a scant 1 tablespoonful onto each crepe. Fold opposite sides of crepe over filling, forming a little bundle.
- 4. Place seam side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Serve topped with berries and dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
2 blintzes with 1/2 cup fruit (calculated without confectioners' sugar) equals 180 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 319 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.