Glossy Chocolate Frosting
“The original recipe for this thick chocolate frosting was my grandmother’s,” writes Melissa Wentz from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. “I lightened it up, but it still has all of the original’s taste.”
15 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, sugar substitute, cocoa and
- cornstarch. Add water and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir
- in butter and vanilla until smooth. Spread over cupcakes or cake
- while frosting is still warm. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Editor's Note: Recipe makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes or the top of a 13-inch x 9-inch cake. This recipe was tested with Splenda No Calorie Sweetener.
Nutritional Facts: 4 teaspoons equals 54 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.