Glossy Chocolate Frosting
The original recipe for this thick chocolate frosting was my grandmother's. I lightened it up, but it still has all of the original's taste. —Melissa Wentz, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
15 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, sugar substitute, cocoa and
- cornstarch. Add water and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir
- in butter and vanilla until smooth. Spread over cupcakes or cake
- while frosting is still warm. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Editor's Note: Recipe makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes or the top of a 13-inch x 9-inch cake. This recipe was tested with Splenda No Calorie Sweetener.
Nutritional Facts: 4 teaspoons equals 54 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.