Glazed Whole Beets
This recipe came from my mother and was always a favorite holiday side dish when I was growing up. The glaze is such a wonderfully quick and easy way to dress up canned beets.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) whole beets
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Drain beets, reserving 2/3 cup juice. In a large skillet, combine
- sugar, flour and salt. Stir in vinegar and reserved beets juice
- until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Add beets; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes
- or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 40 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.