Glazed Walnut-Pear Salad Recipe
The taste and presentation of this salad is sure to fool guests of just how easy it is to make. While it's a favorite during the holidays, the fresh-tasting salad is also a frequent request during the summer. —Barb Albert-Yockey, Trafalgar, Indiana
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 large pears, quartered
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup glazed walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1. In a small bowl, combine syrup and ginger. Set aside 2 tablespoons for dressing. Toss pears with remaining syrup mixture. Place pears in a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Turn pears over; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned and tender. Cool pears; chop and set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, salt and reserved syrup mixture. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, leaf lettuce, onion, walnuts, cherries and cranberries. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Top with pears. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup equals 148 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC