Glazed Poppy Seed Doughnuts Recipe
Light as a feather, these pretty glazed doughnuts are my husband's all-time favorites. They're something to celebrate any time of year at all!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes (prepared without added milk and butter)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 to 8 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. In another bowl, combine milk and poppy seeds. Let each bowl stand for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, eggs, shortening, salt, cinnamon, poppy seed mixture and 3 cups flour to the yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll out each portion to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan, bring sugar, milk and butter to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool completely. Stir in confectioners' sugar, salt and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over doughnuts. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Glazed Poppy Seed Doughnuts in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p14
Reviews for Glazed Poppy Seed Doughnuts(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review