Glazed Pineapple Pie Recipe
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon juice for glaze. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, lemon juice and butter. Combine the sugar, flour and salt. Add to the pineapple mixture; toss gently to coat and set aside.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie pan with the bottom pastry. Sprinkle with coconut. Spread pineapple mixture over coconut. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack.
- 3. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Spread over the top of warm pie. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor's Note: To decorate top of pie with cutout as shown in photo, use a small pineapple-shaped cookie cutter to cut shapes from top pastry before placing pastry over filling. Place dough shapes on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden (watch closely). Cool slightly; arrange on top of baked pie after glazing.
1 slice: 480 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.