Glazed Pineapple Pie Recipe
This pie, with its unique glaze, is a tropical treat from a northern field editor, Kathy Crow of Cordova, Alaska.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon juice for glaze. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, lemon juice and butter. Combine the sugar, flour and salt. Add to the pineapple mixture; toss gently to coat and set aside.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie pan with the bottom pastry. Sprinkle with coconut. Spread pineapple mixture over coconut. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack.
- 3. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Spread over the top of warm pie. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 480 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC